Friday 29 January 2021

Records from my flat – Blackbird, Red Fox and Green Woodpecker

Late yesterday afternoon as it was beginning to go dark, I was catching up with the previous night’s BBC2 Winterwatch and listening to Chris Packham talking about Starling mimicry, specifically mimicry of a singing Blackbird. As the piece finished and the programme moved on to something else, I could still hear a singing Blackbird! Somewhat confused, I opened my window and there was indeed a singing male Blackbird. He continued to sing for about 15 minutes until it was completely dark.

I previously heard a male Blackbird singing on 29th November 2020 and on 30th November 2020. This was very unusual since Blackbirds don’t normally resume singing until the end of January or early February or even as late as early March. Yesterday's record is more typical.

Much later in the evening, I just happened to look out of the window at round 10:20 p.m. and saw a Red Fox walking slowly around immediately outside the flats. It looked particularly wet which was not surprising given the heavy rain. Unlike my recent records, there was no vocalisation and no sign of any other Red Foxes.

This morning I have had my window open given that it is much warmer than recently and this has enabled me to hear a calling Green Woodpecker on and off for over 2 hours.


💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.