Friday 15 January 2021

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 15th January 2021

Date: 15th January 2021

Time: from 11 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, 2°C to 3°C

After the recent heavy rain, it was good to see all the ponds filled to the brim! Having said that, unlike my last visit on 2nd January 2021, none of them produced any Mallards or indeed Moorhens which I have yet to see on the reserve this year.














Photo: "deep water" has returned to the ponds!

In some areas of the reserve, especially the wooded areas in the east, it was also flooded away from the main tracks. In fact, several locations reminded me of the amazing wet forests and swamps of the BiaΕ‚owieΕΌa Forest in north east Poland which I have been fortunate to visit on 2 occasions.

I saw and heard very few birds during my visit but nonetheless I did have some notable sightings.

Whilst walking along the track from the storage shed to Willow Pond, I heard and then saw a fly-over Pied Wagtail, my first record for the site for the year.

As I left the reserve, there was a group of c.15 Redwings in the hedges and trees along the track between the Spanish Steps and the pedestrian gate.

I had a reminder that spring is not too far away with several singing Robins (they resumed singing in December), now joined by several singing Great Tits and 2 singing Song Thrushes.

Finally, I saw 9 Grey Squirrels, my highest total on a single visit to the site: 1 around the pedestrian gate, 3 along the track between the pedestrian gate and the Spanish Steps, 2 along the track between the Spanish Steps and the storage shed, 1 along the track from the storage shed to Willow Pond and 2 along the track from the storage shed and Puckles Pond.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Redwing
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Pied Wagtail
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull

Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 40  (17)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 18  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

πŸ’šπŸ¦† πŸ¦‰πŸ¦‹πŸπŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‘🌼 πŸŒ³πŸ’š
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.