Sunday 24 January 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 24th January 2021

Date: 24th January 2021

Time: from 8 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, -2°C to -1°C

As I left home, I heard a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker but failed to see it.

It was very cold this morning which at least served to freeze the usually very wet and muddy track from Larkins Tyres.

This morning’s visit was a strange one. It was generally very quiet with a relatively short species list and very few birds singing or calling. However, there were some noticeable highlights.

With regard to birds, the highlight was 7 fly-over calling Greylag Geese, this species being a further addition to my year site list. It is also a species that I have rarely seen in the past.

As on recent visits, the scrubland and hedges viewed from the Larkins Tyres access track produced c.10 Redwings.

After seeing my first Red Foxes of the year on my last visit, I again saw the animal with the injured right rear leg. After following the track from Larkins Tyres to the wooded clearing, I then took the short track to the edge of the woodland to the fence overlooking the field and scrub at the northern edge of the site. Very quickly, I spotted a Red Fox emerge from the right hand side and slowly walk over to a central hedge. Having reached the central hedge, it settled down, curled up and evidently went to sleep. It was still there when I checked again towards the end of my visit.
































As I was walking slowly back up the grassy track from St. Nicholas Lane towards St. Nicholas Church, a Reeves’ Muntjac bolted out of cover right in front of me and quickly disappeared in to the hedge and scrub opposite. This extremely quick sighting was my first of the year. I am not sure who was the most surprised and shocked!

Shortly afterwards, I saw my only Grey Squirrel of my visit. It was a very distinctive animal since over half its tail was missing! Clearly it had had a close encounter with a predator but escaped.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin 
Redwing
Blackbird
House Sparrow
Starling
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Greylag Goose
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Reeves’ Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 51  (23)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.