Sunday 1 August 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 1st August 2021

Date: 1st August 2021  

Time: from 7:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny/cloudy, light wind, 15°C to 16°C

After the success with Red Fox sightings on my last visit on 29th July 2021, I had another visit this morning, this time with my camera.

From the church car park, I immediately had a very brief glimpse of a Red Fox running across the bottom of the grassy strip at the southern edge of the site. I only managed to capture a blurry image which I have cropped ….
















Over the course of an hour or so, I had several sightings of a well-grown Red Fox cub (possibly not the same individual) in the same area and, on a single occasion, 2 cubs together. 

Fortunately, Red Fox cubs exhibit a naΓ―ve curiosity and they are quite prepared to momentarily stand still whilst they assess who you are and whether you present a risk to them, thus enabling fairly easy photography. Adults are far more wary and usually run for cover as soon as they hear your approach or see you. Here are some photos of the Red Fox cub(s) .... 

















After the very poor number of records of birds on my last visit on 29th July 2021, there was a significant improvement this morning with 17 species recorded.

Most notably, summer visitors are still with us. I saw 4 “screaming” Swifts on several occasions flying high above the church. In addition, I saw a male Blackcap feeding a fledgling plus a separate female, all in the south west corner of the site, and I heard 2 briefly calling Chiffchaffs, the first again in the south west corner of the site and another in the wooded area in the north of the site.

Whilst I did not see either species, I heard 2 calling Green Woodpeckers (a distant bird from near the church and a very loudly calling bird in an oak tree in the wooded area in the north of the site) and a single calling Great Spotted Woodpecker (again in the wooded area in the north of the site).

I saw no dragonflies or damselflies and only a limited number of butterfly species on this visit, the latter being restricted to Gatekeeper (c.30), Meadow Brown (c.5) and Large White (2).

In addition to the Red Foxes, I also saw a Grey Squirrel in the south west corner of the site as it ran along a fence to the rear gardens of the houses in Pound Lane.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Swift
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Wren
Robin
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Large White 

Here are some more photos from my visit:















Photo: fledgling Blackcap















Photo: Woodpigeon















Photo: Woodpigeon















Photo: Gatekeeper












































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 53  (42)
Mammals = 6  (5)
Butterflies = 21  (13)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (2)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

πŸ’šπŸ¦† πŸ¦‰πŸ¦‹πŸπŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‘🌼 πŸŒ³πŸ’š
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.