Friday 21 May 2021

More amazing information on Swifts

I recently wrote about Swifts herehere and here.

They really are remarkable birds.

Small birds like swift and swallow species that migrate long distances have been predicted to travel over 300 miles per day but new evidence shows that one species of swift, our familiar (Common) Swift can cover far greater distances than that.

Susanne Γ…kesson and Giuseppe Bianco at Lund University in Sweden have shown that (Common) Swifts can fly an average of 355 miles per day with the fastest birds covering 515 miles in a day.

If I drive from my home in Essex to Aviemore in the Scottish Highlands, which I have only ever done once without an overnight stop, that is a distance of 538 miles. (Common) Swifts are capable of doing that non-stop in a day!

New Scientist - Common Swifts can fly more than 800 kilometres a day during migration  

πŸ’šπŸ¦† πŸ¦‰πŸ¦‹πŸπŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‘🌼 πŸŒ³πŸ’š
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.