Monday 24 May 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 24th May 2021

Date: 24th May 2021

Time: from 7 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 8°C to 10°C

I accessed the site via the track from Larkins Tyres which, having eventually dried up after the winter, once more resembles a muddy swamp after the heavy rain recently.

However, that rain has also encouraged even more leaf and plant growth and the whole site is now very green and lush.

After the success of my last visit on 18th May 2021 when I was able to record 26 species of birds and 3 species of mammals, it was noticeably quieter this morning in terms of sightings and I had very few photo opportunities.

Nonetheless, I did have a few highlights: I heard but did not see a singing male Common Whitethroat which was again in the scrub area behind Larkins Tyres, I saw a calling and singing male Greenfinch at the top of one of the trees bordering the church car park and I heard a singing Goldcrest in the south west corner of the site but in a different location to the usual tall conifer tree.

Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs were still evident around the site but in much smaller numbers than recently. I saw 3 singing male Blackcaps and I heard a further 3 singing males. I saw 1 singing male Chiffchaff and I heard a further 4 singing males.

During my visit, I had a brief view of a Red Fox crossing the grassy strip running down from the church car park to St. Nicholas Lane (record photo below). In addition, I heard the single bark of a Red Fox in the eastern section of the cemetery and then briefly saw it at the edge of the bushes and trees bordering the cemetery. The bark may well have been a warning to cubs since I heard this on a few occasions last spring when I was watching a vixen and 4 cubs. Unfortunately, this spring, I have been unable to locate a natal den or any cubs but in the coming weeks if there are any cubs around the site I may well see them as they explore further afield.
















I also saw 3 Grey Squirrels this morning: 1 running along the fence adjacent to the track from Larkins Tyres, 1 in a tree bordering the church car park and 1 in the south west corner of the site.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Common Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin 
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:




























Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 53  (41)
Mammals = 6  (5)
Butterflies = 21  (5)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.