Sunday 11 July 2021

Trip away from SS15 – RSPB Vange Marsh - 11th July 2021

After my recent trip to Somerset and Wales and to Yorkshire (blog post pending), my latest trip away from SS15 was a mere 4 miles and 2 bus journeys from home.

RSPB Vange Marsh is a mosaic of wetland habitats with fresh and saltwater lagoons attracting many breeding birds in spring and summer, passage migrant waders especially in late summer and autumn and large numbers of ducks in winter. There are no specific facilities in the way of a visitor centre or hides but nature trails and public footpaths allow viewing over the wetland areas.

The principal issue at RSPB Vange Marsh is that the views are towards the south so bright sunny days are problematic. In addition, birds are always very distant requiring a telescope (which on warm and sunny days creates even worse problems with heat haze) and photography opportunities are extremely limited.

I decided to visit RSPB Vange Marsh this morning due to a number of notable birds being recorded in recent days and since the weather forecast suggested a bright but not sunny day.

When I arrived at the site, viewing conditions were ideal but within 30 minutes it was very sunny and the temperature was increasing so the dreaded heat haze made viewing very difficult.

However, during the immediate period following my arrival, I was very successful in seeing all of my target species.

Firstly, I was able to add 3 species to my UK year list, taking it to 152 species (following this trip and my 2 other recent trips further afield in the UK), still well down on the number that I would normally have expected to see by this time of the year had there not been Covid-19 pandemic travel restrictions.

The 3 additions to my UK year list were Spotted Redshank (5 including 2 still in their black summer plumage), Greenshank (2) and Green Sandpiper (1).

Secondly, I saw 2 species that I have already seen this year and which I have also seen before in Essex but never so close to home: Spoonbill (1) and Great White Egret (4).

The other notable sightings included Little Egret (3), Grey Heron (2), Black-tailed Godwit (11 with many still in their brick-red summer plumage), Avocet (12), Common Redshank (c.10), Lapwing (c.10), Common Tern (5), Reed Warbler (3 males heard singing), Cetti’s Warbler (3 males heard singing), Bearded Tit (2 heard calling), Reed Bunting (1 male heard singing), Blackcap (2 males heard singing) and Chiffchaff (2 males heard singing).

After what has been a dreadful spring and early summer so far for butterflies, at least the sunshine and warm temperatures produced some welcome sightings on this visit: Marbled White (at least 20), Large Skipper and/or Small Skipper (at least 20), Ringlet (3), Red Admiral (2), Meadow Brown (1), Small Heath (1) and Large White (at least 20). 

I additionally saw 2 female darters which I was unable to identify to species level (either Common Darter or Ruddy Darter).

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


1 comment:

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.