Sunday 18 July 2021

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 18th July 2021

Date: 18th July 2021

Time: from 7:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 16°C to 26°C

My last visit to the site was way back on 2nd June 2021.

Since then, I have been unable to find an opportunity to visit due to preparing for, receiving and then recovering from a health-related procedure in early June which was then followed by short trips away to Somerset and Wales and Yorkshire.

As with my visit to my other local patch site around St. Nicholas Church yesterday, I was hoping that the warm/hot sunny weather would be productive for dragonflies, damselflies and butterflies.

This was most definitely the case and my visit proved to be an odonata and lepidoptera special!

With regard to dragonflies and damselflies, Meadow Pond was exceptional. I was able to add 2 new species to my site list: Brown Hawker (2 although possibly the same individual) and Emerald Damselfly (at least 2). I also added 3 species to my year site list: Common Darter (4), Blue-tailed Damselfly (at least 5) and Emperor Dragonfly (a female ovipositing). In addition, I saw Four-spotted Chaser (2) and Azure and/or Common Blue Damselfly (c.10), all of which I have already previously recorded this year.

A large number of butterflies were evident across the site and I added 7 species to my year site list: Green-veined White (1), Large White (at least 20), Small White (at least 10), Meadow Brown (at least 50), Small Skipper (at least 5), Gatekeeper (3) and Speckled Wood (1).

Whilst spending time at Meadow Pond, there was a constant chorus of presumed Edible Frogs. When I arrived, at least 5 jumped in to the pond from the edge but thereafter they proved difficult to see given how much the vegetation has grown since my last visit. However, I did get the opportunity to photograph one calling male although the results were not as good as those that I managed on 2nd June 2021.

The grassland in the Thorney Wood area was literally jumping with a huge number of grasshoppers of evidently different species but my grasshopper ID skills are limited (completely absent!).

With regard to birds, the intensity of bird activity and bird song peaked in May and this morning I only recorded 16 species.

Nonetheless, I added a single fly over Swallow and an unseen “screaming” Swift to my year site list.

It was generally very quiet in respect of bird song but I did hear both Chiffchaff (3 regularly singing males) and Blackcap (2 very briefly singing males) plus a singing Wren and a singing Song Thrush. In addition, to the singing male Chiffchaffs, there was a silent individual foraging in the trees at the edge of Meadow Pond.

Other highlights included 2 adult Moorhens and 3 juveniles on Willow Pond plus another calling from the depths of the reeds in Meadow Pond, a fly over Green Woodpecker and a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

As I left Noak Bridge Nature Reserve and crossed the bridge over the A127 to head home, I couldn’t fail to notice the tail-to-tail slow moving traffic heading towards Southend-on-Sea. Mmmm …. now if I had to choose, what would I do? …. 4 hours peace and quiet watching and photographing wildlife on a local nature reserve or sitting in a hot car in a traffic jam to eventually arrive at an over-crowded and non-socially distanced beach …. no contest!

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Swallow
Swift
Blue Tit
Wren
Robin
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Moorhen
Herring Gull

Emperor Dragonfly
Brown Hawker
Four-spotted Chaser
Common Darter
Emerald Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Azure Damselfly and/or Common Blue Damselfly

Green-veined White
Large White
Small White
Meadow Brown
Small Skipper
Gatekeeper
Speckled Wood

Edible Frog

Here are some photos from my visit:















Photo: Emerald Damselfly














Photo: Emerald Damselfly















Photo: Emerald Damselfly















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Common Darter















Photo: Four-spotted Chaser















Photo: Four-spotted Chaser















Photo: Four-spotted Chaser















Photo: Blue-tailed Damselfly















Photo: record shot of ovipositing female Emperor Dragonfly














Photo: Green-veined White














Photo: Gatekeeper














Photo: Meadow Grasshopper 














Photo: 
Roesel’s Bush-cricket
















Photo: Edible Frog















Photo: Edible Frog































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 43  (41)    
Mammals = 2  (2)
Butterflies = 18  (9)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 13  (10)
Reptiles = 1  (1)
Amphibians = 1  (1)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.