Friday 30 July 2021

Record from my flat - Green Woodpeckers

I have recorded Green Woodpecker in very close proximity to the flats where I live on 2 occasions recently .... 27th June 2021 (when I was able to get several photos) and 20th July 2021.

At 1.55 p.m. this afternoon, I heard the distinctive calls of a Green Woodpecker behind the flats and guessed that a bird may be foraging in the rear communal garden area.

However, before I had a chance to look for it, the call transferred to the front of the flats and I quickly saw 2 Green Woodpeckers clinging to a tree on the front lawn where I have seen them on several occasions before.

It also became evident that I was watching an adult and a fledged juvenile Green Woodpecker, the latter identified by the barring on its underparts, breast and neck (the barring on an adult is far less extensive).

After a short while, the adult flew down to the ground and proceeded to feed (presumably on ants) on the lawn and at the kerbstone edge to the garden and car park, just like the individual on 27th June 2021.
















The juvenile quickly joined its parent and they both fed together around the kerbstone edge to the garden and car park.

















However, Woody junior then decided he wanted to regress to being a chick in the nest and being fed again by its parent.


















After a few more minutes, both birds flew back up in to the trees for a short while before the parent flew off out of sight closely followed by the juvenile.


















My photos are rather soft and grainy as a result of being taken through an upstairs window and this short video is somewhat shaky for the same reason but it does show Woody junior reverting to being reliant on its parent for food. 


💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.