Tuesday 8 March 2022

Trip away from SS15 - Blakes Wood, Danbury, Essex - 8th March 2022

This morning, I had an early start, leaving home at 7 a.m. to catch a bus to Chelmsford and on to Danbury for a walk to and around Blakes Wood.

Blakes Wood is owned by the National Trust and consists of nearly 100 acres of managed, ancient woodland.

In recent weeks, and certainly before the severe storms, regular reports were being received of 2 scarce Essex species: Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Hawfinch. These 2 species were naturally the targets for my visit.

It was a beautiful sunny morning and the wood was relatively quiet other than for a couple of dog walkers and 2 other birders, Tina and Doug, who were good company as we searched for birds and chatted about our various trips around the UK, Europe and, in their case, many other parts of the world.

During my visit, I heard a calling Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at the same location on 2 occasions and I think another much more distantly. Unfortunately this tiny woodpecker proved impossible to locate in the top of the trees despite the absence of leaves in the canopy. Nonetheless, this was my first record of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker since 2016 and 2019.

I was even less successful with Hawfinch with no sight or sound of this huge finch species.

Apart from the expected common woodland species, I also recorded the following: Siskin (at least 5 feeding at the top of some alder trees .... my first record of this species for 2022), Nuthatch (1 seen and another heard calling), Great Spotted Woodpecker (1 seen and several others heard “drumming”), Green Woodpecker (2 heard calling), Common Buzzard (2 soaring and calling over the wood) and Sparrowhawk (1).

In addition, I saw a single Reeves' Muntjac and 4 Grey Squirrels.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.