Saturday 26 March 2022

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 26th March 2022

Date: 26th March 2022

Time: from 10:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light/moderate wind, 12°C to 14°C

This was a much later start to my visit than normal. I had considered a very early visit for birds, particularly targeting my first Blackcap at the reserve for the year, or a later visit where the warmer temperatures may have encouraged the emergence of reptiles.

I chose a later visit but failed to see any Common Lizards along the boardwalk at the eastern end of the reserve.

However, I did add my first Blackcap to my 2022 list for the reserve bringing the total to date to 19. I initially heard a singing male in the wooded area beyond Willow Pond but it was impossible to locate it. I heard another or possibly the same singing male in the scrub to the right of the path not far from the storage shed heading back towards the Spanish Steps. I eventually had several views of this bird albeit brief and somewhat obscured. Frustratingly, it refused to fully emerge to sing from a prominent perch.

During my last visit on 12th March 2022, I recorded my first 2 singing male Chiffchaffs at the reserve for 2022. This morning, Chiffchaff song was evident all around the reserve. I managed to see 2 singing males and heard at least 4 others.

I had no other especially notable bird sightings but I did record my first butterflies at the reserve for 2022: Comma (3) and Brimstone (2).

For me, along with the first singing Chiffchaffs, the first flying Brimstones are a sure sign that spring has arrived. It is difficult to miss the bright yellow male Brimstones in flight but it is remarkable how they almost disappear when they land and do their best leaf impression!

With regard to mammals, I saw a single Grey Squirrel in the trees from the path heading from the Spanish Steps into the reserve.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Wren
Robin
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon

Grey Squirrel

Brimstone
Comma

Here are some photos from my visit:



























Photo: male Chiffchaff




























Photo: male Chiffchaff




























Photo: Wren




























Photo: Brimstone




























Photo: Brimstone

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 43  (19)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 18  (2)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 13  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 1  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

1 comment:

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.