Tuesday 15 March 2022

Visit to Gloucester Park – 15th March 2022

Date: 15th March 2022

Time: from 7:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 6°C to 11°C

I had another visit to the site this morning to again try and photograph a Kingfisher although it was a much earlier start to avoid the presence of too many people and possible disturbance to the bird.

I did exactly the same as on my other recent visits, namely I sat at a single location just to the east of the island in the main lake where there is some suitable overhanging lakeside vegetation.

Within 10 minutes of arriving, I heard the distinctive whistling call of a Kingfisher followed immediately by the sight of the bird flying rapidly past me.

Unfortunately, that was it and despite over an hour of watching and waiting, a Kingfisher failed to reappear.

I still don’t have any Kingfisher photos!

However, although I didn’t have an extended walk around the site, I did have some other notable records.

I added Redwing (c.30 flying over heading north west) and Chiffchaff (1 singing male heard and 1 silent bird seen in a small tree next to where I was sitting waiting for the Kingfisher) to my 2022 list for the site bringing the total to date to 35. Like my visit to my St. Nicholas Church local patch site yesterday, I recorded both a departing winter visitor and an arriving summer visitor.

Other interesting records included what I think is my first singing male Blackbird of the spring, calling Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker, 3 Brown Rats and a sun-bathing Grey Squirrel.
















PhotoGrey Squirrel















PhotoGrey Squirrel















Photo: Long-tailed Tit















Photo: Long-tailed Tit

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 49  (33)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 1  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (0)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.