Thursday 3 March 2022

Red Fox near St. Nicholas Church

The main purpose of my visit this morning to the area surrounding St. Nicholas Church was to photograph Red Foxes. For more on my visit, please see here. 

I accessed the site via the track from Larkins Tyres and then took the short track through the trees to my usual watchpoint overlooking the rough grass field bordered by scrub, hedges and trees. 

I climbed over the fence and walked across the field to the large oak tree where I left the remains of a chicken carcass, the contents of a can of dog food and some dog biscuits and peanuts …. a full Red Fox “breakfast” 😀.

After around 10 minutes, I had an extremely brief view of a Red Fox running through the scrub and hedges behind the oak tree. I assumed that the scent of the “breakfast” would have reached the acute sense of smell of the Red Fox and I fully expected it to return within minutes.

Surprisingly, it took 45 minutes for me to see the same or perhaps another Red Fox tentatively emerge from the scrub and hedges and move slowly towards the base of the oak tree where the “breakfast” was still on offer despite several Magpies in the immediate area.

Initially, I thought that this was the same Red Fox that I had seen and photographed on 9th February 2022, namely one with a blue eye and a golden-brown eye. It may well have been but this time the blue eye definitely suggested that the animal was blind or going blind in that eye.
















However, the Red Fox moved off almost immediately and out of sight without staying to feed although it reappeared again within 5 minutes.
























































This time the Red Fox remained in the area and fed for at least 15 minutes. A confident Red Fox feeding was also the cue for a full pile in of around 15 Magpies to join the feast.

For most of the time, the Red Fox just ignored the Magpies although occasionally teeth were bared in frustrated annoyance. “Photo-bombing” Magpies caused me a few problems too but they also allowed for a few good photos.























































































Eventually, the Red Fox decided that it had had enough to eat and it wandered away leaving the scraps to the Magpies.




























Here is a short video of the Red Fox …. 


Slava Ukraini! …. Glory to Ukraine!

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.