Monday 29 March 2021

Evening visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 29th March 2021

Date: 29th March 2021

Time: from 7:30 p.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, dark, 15°C

My evening visit started an hour later than the last one on 22nd March 2021 since the clocks went forward by an hour at the weekend.
















I was again unsuccessful in seeing any Badgers.

However, whilst sitting and watching the Badger sett entrance/exit, I did hear the bark of a Red Fox behind me. I also caught sight of 2 Red Foxes in my torchlight in the area of grassland between St. Nicholas Church and St. Nicholas Lane.

In addition, I saw a Reeves’ Muntjac before it went dark from the watchpoint at the north of the site overlooking the field and the trees, hedges and scrub bordering it.

There were several birds singing before it went dark including Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush and Wren and I also heard a calling Green Woodpecker.

The most remarkable sighting of the night was when I was almost home. I was walking up my road and noticed a Red Fox walking away from me. It clearly heard me as it stopped and turned round. I continued walking towards it, fully expecting it to run off. However, it stood still until I was within touching distance. It was completely confiding and I think probably habituated to people feeding it. It was a “small” Red Fox so I assuming that it was possibly a first-year vixen. I managed to get some photos using my mobile phone ….























































When I returned to my flat, I looked out of the window and presumably the same Red Fox was still walking around in the street outside.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Red Fox
Reeve’s Muntjac

Robin
Blackbird
Wren
Song Thrush
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Green Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 51  (35)
Mammals = 6  (4)
Butterflies = 21  (2)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.