Friday 26 March 2021

I want to see White-tailed Eagles and Red Kites flying over my local patch sites!

I have recorded Common Buzzard and Sparrowhawk within my SS5 wildlife watching area many times plus additionally Kestrel on 2 occasions.

Now this would be definitely be good ....

Red Kite and White-tailed Eagle sighted over Holkham in north Norfolk 

I have seen Red Kites at various locations in Essex, most recently at Essex Wildlife Trust's Shut Heath Wood nature reserve in mid-February 2021, and they are regularly recorded over Langdon Hills close to my home. Therefore there is a realistic chance of seeing one of these birds .... and hopefully soon!

I usually see White-tailed Eagles during my annual trips to western Scotland and I have also seen them in a number of European countries although of course travel has been severely restricted for over a year now for obvious reasons. However, there is a chance of seeing one in Essex since the immature birds from the White-tailed Eagle reintroduction project on the Isle of Wight are prone to a bit of wandering and exploration .... see here. In fact, in September 2019, one of the Isle of Wight birds went "on tour" and flew over central London, Canvey Island and Southend-on-Sea before landing in Great Wakering .... see here.

So when I am walking around my local patch sites, I will make sure I look up to see what is flying through SS15 airspace.

If one or both these magnificent species appear, hopefully I will be able to record the moment with some photos.

Meanwhile as I wait patiently, here are some of my photos of White-tailed Eagles and Red Kites from well outside the SS15 recording area in the far north of Norway and Finland and in Wales ....














Photo: White-tailed Eagle at Skagen near VardΓΈ, Troms og Finnmark, Norway













Photo: White-tailed Eagle at Sandfjord, Varanger peninsula, Troms og Finnmark, Norway













Photo: White-tailed Eagles between Krampenes and Skallelv, Varanger peninsula, Troms og Finnmark, Norway














Photo: White-tailed Eagle at Kuntilampi, near Kuusamo, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa, Finland















Photo: Red Kite at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys, Wales














Photo: Red Kite at Gilfach RWT reserve, Powys, Wales

Photo: Red Kite at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys, Wales

Photo: Red Kite at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys, Wales














Photo: Red Kite at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys, Wales














Photo: Red Kite at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys, Wales














Photo: Red Kite at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys, Wales















Photo: Red Kite at Elan valley, Powys, Wales














Photo: Red Kites (a lot!) at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys, Wales .... a very unlikely scene over SS15 :-)

πŸ’šπŸ¦† πŸ¦‰πŸ¦‹πŸπŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‘🌼 πŸŒ³πŸ’š
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.