Tuesday 9 March 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 9th March 2021

Date: 9th March 2021

Time: from 11:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 7°C to 11°C

My last visit on 5th March 2021 proved to be very uneventful but the spring-like sunny weather returned this morning as did bird activity and bird song. In fact, if I had arrived on site much earlier as I normally do, it would doubtless have been even greater. However, I had to stay at home for an important phone call so my visit today did not start until 11:15 a.m.

accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres which remains very wet and muddy and then, on reaching the clearing, I took the short track through the woodland to the fencing that provides a watchpoint to scan the field and the trees, hedges and scrub bordering it. I spent some time here and this location provided me with most of my notable sightings.

Firstly, I added Pheasant to my site list for the year. I initially heard the brief call of what I believed to be a Pheasant but I wasn’t entirely sure.

However, a few minutes later, a male Pheasant appeared at the far end of the field and remained in view, albeit distantly, for some time.

From memory, I have only seen Pheasant on 2 previous occasions at the site, most recently a female on 9th October 2020, so this was an unusual record of what is normally regarded as a sedentary species.

As I took the short track to the watchpoint, I noticed a single Goldcrest foraging quietly in the trees. This was my first sighting since 5th February 2021 and just a few days before the snow arrived. This tiny species is very susceptible to cold weather so it was pleasing to see that it had survived.

The watchpoint also provided sightings of a fly-over female Sparrowhawk and a fly-over silent Green Woodpecker. I saw 2 additional Green Woodpeckers noisily chasing each other around the eastern end of the cemetery. However, after sightings on recent visits of very active Great Spotted Woodpeckers there were none to be heard or seen this morning.

With regard to mammals, I saw a Red Fox basking in the sun at the edge of the field as I walked through the trees to the watchpoint but by the time that I arrived at the fence it had evidently heard or seen me and had disappeared back in to the woodland.

I saw 2 Grey Squirrels this morning: 1 at the far end of the field as it ran across in front of the Pheasant and 1 in the south west of the site near the Pound Lane boundary which I managed to photograph.

Daffodils are now very abundant around the cemetery and the Sweet Violets have now been joined by a few Primroses.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin 
Dunnock
Wren
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Sparrowhawk
Pheasant
Green Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit: 














Photo: male Pheasant














Photo: Grey Squirrel


































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 51  (32)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.