Monday 22 March 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 22nd March 2021

Date: 22nd March 2021

Time: from 11:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 9°C to 11°C

As the sun made a welcome re-appearance mid-morning, I decided to have another visit to the site following that of yesterday.

It proved to be significantly better than yesterday with several notable sightings.

accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres and then, on reaching the clearing, I took the short track through the woodland to the fencing that provides a watchpoint to scan the field and the trees, hedges and scrub bordering it.

On arriving at the watchpoint, I immediately noticed a Red Fox curled up asleep quite close by. It lifted its head briefly to acknowledge my presence and then relaxed again.

Having seen a Common Buzzard immediately before leaving my flat, I was alerted to another by a noisy Magpie and Carrion Crow harassing it as it flew over me and across the field. The corvids eventually got fed up with the pursuit and the Common Buzzard was left to peacefully soar in the sunshine for a few minutes before flying off south. Later on, as I walked down the wooded track from the south eastern corner of the cemetery to Church Hill, I heard the loud “mewing” of a Common Buzzard which could only have been immediately overhead although I was unable to see it due to the tree cover.

From the watchpoint, I also saw 2 very distant flying Great Black-backed Gulls, only my second record for the site after the 3 seen on 28th December 2020.

The watchpoint additionally provided a sighting of a fly-over Green Woodpecker (I also heard at least one other on several occasions from the cemetery) and a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the trees around the short approach track.

Close by and in the same location as yesterday, I heard a singing male Chiffchaff but I was unable to see it.

Remarkably, I recorded my first butterflies of the year this morning: a single Comma in the south west corner of the site bordering Pound Lane and a Peacock in area immediately behind the church. Both had obviously been encouraged to take flight given the sunshine albeit the temperature was still relatively low. Unfortunately, however, both were too flighty for photos.

After seeing no mammals at all yesterday, I saw 3 Grey Squirrels this morning in addition to the Red Fox with 1 in the trees bordering the field and 2 together in the wooded area just off the eastern section of the cemetery.

There was also a cat in the cemetery that expressed a wish to be recorded 😀.














Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin 
Wren
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Common Buzzard
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Great Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel
Cat 😀

Comma
Peacock

Here are some photos from my visit: 













Photo: Red Fox













Photo: Common Buzzard (bottom) and Carrion Crow (top)













Photo: Robin














Photo: record shot of a Jay (who put that branch through its head?)


































































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 51  (34)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 21  (2)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.