Saturday 17 April 2021

Trip away from SS15 – Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs (Hadleigh Country Park) – 17th April 2020

After seeing the photos of Adders at Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs posted by Martin Curtis in the Facebook page for Basildon Community Walking Group, I decided to take a trip there this morning.

I have read various books and articles regarding the ideal temperature to see Adders emerging in the spring and there does not seem to be a consensus on this. I have seen temperatures suggested as low as 5°C and as high as 12°C as being the minimum required.

The forecast for this morning was for a cold start with temperatures as low as 2°C to begin the day but increasing to 12°C in the warming sun. I therefore set off with some hope that I would be able to see and photograph Adders.

I was not disappointed!

The area of Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs is very large and offers spectacular views of the Thames estuary down to Southend and across to Kent.

Whilst I was aware of the preferred habitat of Adders and their desire to bask in sunny spots to warm up their cold-blooded bodies, I had no idea if there were specific locations at Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs where I should be searching.

I walked several miles around the area (accessed from the western end from near Benfleet station) without seeing any Adders.

However, I was fortunate to find a quiet location undisturbed by walkers and mountain bike riders. This area had a rough grassed path fringed by trees, hedges and exposed patches of twigs and grass that provided natural sun traps. In just a single stretch of around 50 metres, I saw 8 Adders …. a group of 3 together (2 males and a female), a further 2 in close proximity to one another and 2 additional singles.

I actually think I missed a few more given the times that I heard rustling adjacent to the path. Adders are very wary of any disturbance and invariably sense our presence and slither away long before we see them. 

In fact, Adders have an ill-deserved reputation. Yes, they are the UK's only venomous reptile but they are very timid and they will only bite in self-defence (for example during attempted capture and handling or when antagonised) or through accidental encounters such as being inadvertently stepped on. 

Whilst Adders bite hundreds of people every year in the UK causing some nasty side effects, only 14 fatalities have been recorded since 1876 and none since 1975. Therefore deaths from Adder bites are significantly rarer than deaths as a result of wasp or bee stings. Dogs are much more vulnerable to a very serious health reaction or death arising from a bite and it amazed me to see so many dogs not on a lead despite Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs being a known Adder site and with signage confirming this.

The 8 Adders that I found provided a clear opportunity to see the sexual dimorphism that this reptile shows.

Males typically have black markings against an off-white or silver-grey background with a steel-grey underside. In the breeding season, males can show an almost bluish tinge.

Females typically have dark brown markings against a light brown or straw-coloured background with a dull brown underside.

However, both sexes are variable in appearance and individuals of various shades of brown, grey and brick-red plus wholly black melanistic individuals have been recorded.

Both sexes also show the characteristic and diagnostic dorsal zig-zag pattern along the length of the upper body (black in males and brown in females) and red eyes with a vertical pupil.

Females are considerably larger (50cm to 70cm in length) than males (40cm to 55cm in length).

In addition to the adder-ly amazing snake-fest (sorry, I will get my coat and leave the room discreetly 😀), my walk was also good for birds.

Overlooking the marshes and Benfleet Creek, I saw my first Swallows (2) and my first Mediterranean Gulls (2 adults) of the year, both species flying overhead.

Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs itself had an abundance of singing Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs and I heard c.15 of each species either singing or calling and actually saw 6 of the former (including a red-headed female) and 3 of the latter.

I was disappointed that I did not hear, let alone see, 2 of the other summer visiting warbler species, namely Common Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat, especially given the huge area of suitable habitat for both.

On Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs, I also saw 4 butterfly species with singles of Brimstone, Orange Tip, Speckled Wood and Small White. These were my first records of Orange Tip and Speckled Wood for the year and I anticipate seeing both at my local patch sites very soon, particularly if the weather warms up.

As I waited for my return bus outside Benfleet station, there were 5 Black-tailed Godwits on Benfleet Creek along with a single Little Egret, a few Common Redshanks and some Black-headed Gulls.

I have rarely seen Adders before and, when I have done so, it has always been just a single animal. This morning, I made a concerted effort with all the necessary fieldcraft to find them in a known location and I was hugely rewarded. I have every intention of returning to Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs during the spring and early summer, not just for further encounters with Adders but also the birds and butterflies that the site undoubtedly holds.

Here are some photos that I managed to get of the Adders including the group of 3 comprising 2 males and a female ....










































💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


1 comment:

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.