Sunday 18 April 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 18th April 2021

Date: 18th April 2021

Time: from 7:00 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 1°C to 8°C

As on my last visit, it was a lovely sunny morning although very cold and with some ground frost to begin with.

Blackcap and Chiffchaff song was again evident around the site. I saw 6 Blackcaps including 2 red-headed females (the highest count this year) plus I heard 4 others either singing or calling. I saw 4 Chiffchaffs including a nest-building pair in the scrub at the edge of the western section of the cemetery (again the highest count this year) plus I heard 4 others either singing or calling.

Green Woodpeckers were again conspicuous, starting with a loudly calling pair in and around the trees along the track from Larkins Tyres. I heard another calling bird from the south west corner of the site and also saw a pair flying across the field from my usual watchpoint at the north of the site which provides a view of a field, bushes, scrub and trees. These latter birds may well have been the same pair that I saw at the start of my visit given that they were flying towards the same area.

I saw a single Great Spotted Woodpecker in the south west corner of the site but what made the sighting so notable was that it was at a presumed nest hole in one of the large trees. I managed to get a photo of the nest hole (it doesn’t move!) but not the bird (it did!). I am not sure if this is an active nest hole since the bird did not return whilst I waited for around 15 minutes but it is a location for me to watch on future visits.















The south west corner of the site also produced a single singing male Greenfinch, the tops of the tall trees here having produced sightings in the past. I saw a further 2 Greenfinches briefly in the western section of the cemetery.

The only other notable record from my visit was a single fly-over Black-headed Gull, a species that I see far less often than the regular fly-over Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

With regard to mammals, the regular sighting of a Red Fox crossing the grassy strip which runs down from the church car park towards St. Nicholas Lane was not repeated and I failed to see one here after my optimism following my last visit even though I watched and waited for some 30 minutes.

However, I did see 2 Red Foxes from my watchpoint at the north of the site. As I arrived, there was a Red Fox out in the open in the field having a lengthy scratch before it moved to the edge of the hedge line and presumably went to sleep .... out of view accept for the top of one ear! After about 30 minutes, it stood up and walked slowly along the hedge line before disappearing from view. After a further 10 minutes, another Red Fox appeared from the opposite direction, moved out in to the open field before turning round and returning to where it had emerged from. As I left the watchpoint and walked back along the track on my way home, I saw what was probably the same Red Fox again in the area of bushes and scrub immediately behind Larkins Tyres.

I saw 3 Reeves’ Muntjac this morning: 2 animals and a single animal in quick succession crossing the grassy strip which runs down from the church car park towards St. Nicholas Lane.

Finally, I saw 4 Grey Squirrels this morning: 2 together in the trees bordering the field, 1 in the western section of the cemetery and 1 in the south west corner of the site.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin 
Wren
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Greenfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Reeves’ Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit: 















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox














Photo: Chiffchaff















Photo: Chiffchaff














Photo: Chiffchaff















Photo: Robin














Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin















Photo: Robin














Photo: Robin















Photo: Robin















Photo: Blue Tit
















Photo: Blue Tit















Photo: Blackbird















Photo: Blackbird














Photo: Collared Dove















Photo: Collared Dove














Photo: Collared Doves















Photo: Magpie















Photo: Reeves' Muntjac













Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 52  (38)
Mammals = 6  (4)
Butterflies = 21  (4)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.