Monday 19 April 2021

Evening visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 19th April 2021

Date: 19th April 2021

Time: from 8:15 p.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, dark, 11°C

As on my last evening visit, I laid out some dog food, dog biscuits and peanuts outside one of the Badger sett entrance/exit holes but I was again unsuccessful in seeing any Badgers. This was my fourth successive visit this year where I have failed.

However, I again saw a Red Fox appear out of the darkness having evidently caught the smell of the dog food although it did not find it. Instead it walked off and in doing so approached extremely close to where I was sat but clearly unaware of my presence.

With regard to birds, a short evening chorus prior to full darkness falling comprised the usual expected species: several Robins and Blackbirds, 2 Wrens and a single Song Thrush.

As I arrived at the site and before it went dark, I briefly heard a singing Blackcap song, 2 alarm calling Blackcaps and a calling Green Woodpecker.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Red Fox

Blackcap
Robin
Blackbird
Wren
Song Thrush
Green Woodpecker
Carrion Crow
Magpie

Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 52  (38)
Mammals = 6  (4)
Butterflies = 21  (4)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.