Tuesday 20 April 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 20th April 2021

Date: 20th April 2021

Time: from 11:00 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 9°C to 13°C

This morning, I went out much later, primarily for an exercise walk, but I did take in part of the area around St. Nicholas Church.

After my visit last night, I also walked past the Badger sett to see if there had been any activity. All the food that I had laid out had been eaten although of course I am unable to confirm if this was by an emerging Badger or by a passing Red Fox or both.

During my visit to part of the site, I still managed to see a single singing male Blackcap and a single singing male Chiffchaff plus I heard 6 and 3 others respectively.

I also saw a single Green Woodpecker flying through the scrub area between my flat and the church and I heard another calling regularly from the eastern section of the cemetery or surrounding woodland whilst at the church.

The much warmer temperatures later in the morning produced a single Speckled Wood (my first record of the year for the site), a single Small White and a possible but unconfirmed female Orange Tip.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin 
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Green Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Speckled Wood
Small White
Orange Tip (possible but unconfirmed)
















Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 52  (38)
Mammals = 6  (4)
Butterflies = 21  (5)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.