Wednesday 21 April 2021

Trip away from SS15 – RSPB Rainham Marshes – 21st April 2021

This was my first visit to RSPB Rainham Marshes since 2019 due to the travel restrictions imposed as a response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The reserve is situated alongside the River Thames in Purfleet and comprises 411 hectares of ancient, low-lying grazing marsh. Its complex of wet grassland, ditches, scrapes, pools and reedbeds together with grassland, scrub and woodland, supports many breeding and wintering birds. Wildlife also includes scarce wetland plants and insects and a key population of the nationally declining Water Vole.  

The visitor centre is still closed other than for take-away snacks and drinks and a temporary reception has been set up outside where visitors are asked to sign in via the NHS Covid-19 app QR code. The hides on the reserve remain closed until 12th May 2021  and a one-way circular route operates around the reserve.

I spent around 4 hours on the reserve and recorded 57 species of birds. Photography was a little more problematic given that the light seemed to alternate between dull, bland greyness or very harsh sunlight. Nonetheless, I did manage to get a few photos.

Of the 57 bird species that I saw, there were 11 new records for 2021 for me, taking my year list to 105. This is still well down on what I would usually have expected to have seen at this time of the year had there been no restrictions on travel to some of my regular birding locations in Essex and beyond.

My 11 new species for 2021 were as follows, of which 7 are summer visiting migrants:

Sedge Warbler: this reedbed species was especially numerous and vocal and I saw 11 singing males and heard at least 6 others

Reed Warbler: this is another reedbed species and I saw 1 singing male and heard at least 6 others

Cetti’s Warbler: this species was incredibly numerous and vocal in the scrub all round the reserve and I saw 2 singing males and heard at least 15 others

Common Whitethroat: I saw 5 singing males and heard 3 others in the scrub areas around the reserve

Lesser Whitethroat: I heard a singing male briefly in the scrub/woodland area close to the visitor centre

Yellow Wagtail: I saw 4 birds flying over the Target Pools at the eastern end of the reserve

Little Ringed Plover: I saw a pair calling and displaying in flight over the Target Pools at the eastern end of the reserve

Sand Martin: it was impossible to count the number of this hirundine but there must have been well over 100 flying over the Butts Scrape and Aveley Pools

Bearded Tit: I heard 2 “pinging” and then saw them in the area of reedbeds near the Shooting Butts

Spoonbill: after much searching and scanning, I eventually saw the bird which had been reported for several days when I had almost arrived back at the visitor centre

Raven: I saw a single bird on the rough grazing surrounding Purfleet Scrape and this was not just my first record for 2021 but also my first record in Essex

Unfortunately, the Black-winged Stilt and Common Redstart reported regularly on the day before my visit had evidently moved on. In addition, I failed to see the 2 White Storks which flew south over the reserve and across the River Thames in to Kent just a few minutes before I arrived.

Other summer visiting migrants that I saw included 3 Swallows, 4 Blackcaps and 3 Chiffchaffs.

Other highlights during my visit included the sight of 2 Common Buzzards and a male Marsh Harrier soaring together, a female Sparrowhawk plus the almost constant sight and sound of the many displaying Common Redshanks and Lapwings which will hopefully breed successfully in the wetland areas.

Other waders that I saw included a single very colourful Ruff, 2 Common Snipe, 2 Oystercatchers and 8 Avocets.

Ducks on the scrapes and pools included Shelduck, Mallard, Teal, Tufted Duck, Common Pochard, Shoveler and Gadwall plus 2 Pintail and c.10 Wigeon trying to suggest that winter isn’t over yet.

Other interesting passerines which I saw included c.10 Linnets, 3 male Reed Buntings and at least 3 singing male Skylarks.

Here are some of the few photos that I did manage to get during my visit ....















Photo: male Sedge Warbler
















Photo: male Sedge Warbler















Photo: male Sedge Warbler















Photo: male Sedge Warbler
















Photo: male Cetti's Warbler















Photo: male Linnet















Photo: male Linnet















Photo: Little Egret
















Photo: Little Egret















Photo: Marsh Frog















Photo: Marsh Frog

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.