Sunday 14 June 2020

From my lockdown window – 14th June 2020

Today was a much better day with the highest number of species recorded for some time and some notable records.

After getting up yesterday at 5:00 a.m. for my walk up to St. Nicholas Church to watch the Red Foxes, I had decided to treat myself to a lie-in. No chance! My early morning alarm call at 5:10 a.m. was a loudly calling Green Woodpecker in close proximity to the flats. I did get back to sleep, only to be woken up again at 6:45 a.m. …. by a loudly calling Green Woodpecker!

At 8:20 a.m., the woodpecker theme continued when I heard a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

At 8:30 a.m., I heard a male Blackcap singing distantly for a few minutes closely followed by a briefly singing male Chiffchaff at 8:35 a.m.

Whilst I see Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls almost daily as they fly over the flats (I think they are inland breeders on the roofs of the warehouses over at Pipps Hill), Black-headed Gull is much scarcer but I did hear a single bird calling at 9:20 a.m. although I failed to see it.

Having seen a Jay for the previous 2 days, I saw yet another today from the rear of the flats at 12:40 p.m. I only occasionally see a Jay from my flat so seeing this species 3 days running is exceptional.

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Dunnock
Wren
Goldfinch
Starling
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.