Tuesday 9 June 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 9th June 2020

Date: 9th June 2020

Time: from 5:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 7°C to 13°C

After yesterday’s late evening visit, I had another early morning visit. It felt like I had never been away 😀.

As on my visit on 7th June 2020, the morning started with watching the Red Foxes and I have again written a separate dedicated blog post here.

Whilst I was watching the Red Foxes, I again saw a singing male Greenfinch and a singing male Goldcrest, both in their same respective trees. I also saw a Chaffinch and 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers in the same area.

With regard to other birds, I added a new site record this morning, namely 6 fly-over Greylag Geese, bringing my site list total to 47 species.

In addition, I again saw a single Swift this morning, this time in much closer proximity to St. Nicholas Church.

I saw 1 singing male Blackcap and 1 singing male Chiffchaff and heard 3 and 2 respectively of each species without seeing them.

I saw 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers in total, including the 2 at the Red Fox location, plus I heard and saw a Green Woodpecker.

As the temperature began to warm up, I managed to record 3 butterfly species: Meadow Brown (2), Large Skipper (3) and Holly Blue (1). This was my first site record of Meadow Brown bringing my site list total to 17 species and my first record of Large Skipper at the site for the year.

Apart from adult butterflies on the wing, I found 2 masses of jet black caterpillars of Peacock. On emerging from their eggs, Peacock caterpillars build a communal web near the top of the nettle plant from which they emerge to bask and feed and they are usually highly conspicuous. As the larvae grow, they move to new plants and build new webs. Finally, after 4 weeks, they disperse from their foodplant and seek a sheltered site to pupate.

Finally, I saw a single Grey Squirrel.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Swift
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Goldcrest
House Sparrow
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Herring Gull
Greylag Goose

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Meadow Brown
Large Skipper
Holly Blue

Here are some photos from my visit:



Photo: Holly Blue

Photo: Holly Blue

Photo: Holly Blue

Photo: Large Skipper

Photo: Large Skipper

Photo: Large Skipper

Photo: Meadow Brown

Photo: Meadow Brown

Photo: Peacock caterpillars

Photo: Peacock caterpillars

Photo: Greylag Geese

Photo: Greylag Geese

Photo: Woodpigeon

Photo: Woodpigeon

Photo: Woodpigeon

Photo: Collared Dove

Photo: juvenile Blue Tit

Photo: male Greenfinch

Photo: Common Poppies

Photo: Common Poppy

Photo: Common Poppy and Bumblebee species

Photo: Ox-eye Daisies

Site totals to date:
Birds = 47
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 17
Dragonflies and damselflies = 5
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.