Thursday 18 June 2020

From my lockdown window – 18th June 2020

Today was a more eventful day but the list of species recorded was relatively short.

I heard a Great Spotted Woodpecker calling briefly at 9:15 a.m. but I also had an excellent sighting of a Green Woodpecker similar to that on 11th June 2020. As on that occasion, I was alerted to the presence of the bird by its loud call at 12:40 p.m. and I then saw it again clinging to the trunk of the small tree just outside one of the ground floor flats. It eventually flew off in to the wooded area but it continued to call distantly for several minutes. Unfortunately, from my position and its location, I was unable to get a photo.

Surprisingly, given that the peak of spring bird song passed several weeks ago, I heard both singing male Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs on 4 or 5 occasions throughout the day. Usually I hear them just once or twice during the day but not even on a daily basis.

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Dunnock
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Lesser Black-backed Gull

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.