Friday 5 June 2020

The 5 day lockdown breakout trips (part 2)

30th May 2020

RSPB Wallasea Island. This visit didn’t involve an early morning start since I drove there after picking up the rental car at 9 a.m. My main target here was Yellow Wagtail for my UK 2020 year list which I failed to see but I did see my first Reed Warbler (a singing male) of the year.

Other notable records: Swallow, Common Whitethroat, Corn Bunting, Reed Bunting, Linnet, Skylark, Kestrel, Stock Dove, Great White Egret, Little Egret, Curlew, Common Redshank, Lapwing, Common Tern

31st May 2020

EWT Abberton Reservoir. Abberton Reservoir is one of my regular all year round sites and my main targets here were Nightingale, Little Ringed Plover, Sand Martin and Yellow Wagtail (again) for my UK 2020 year list.

I saw 2 singing male Nightingales and heard 2 others and saw 2 Little Ringed Plovers and 1 Sand Martin. I failed to see Yellow Wagtail (again) but I did add Cuckoo (2 calling males heard only) and, rather surprisingly, Mandarin (2 males) to my UK 2020 year list.

In total, I saw 49 species during the visit.

Other notable records: Swallow, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Common Whitethroat, Cetti’s Warbler, Bullfinch, Corn Bunting, Reed Bunting, Linnet, Skylark, Stock Dove, Common Tern, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Cormorant, Lapwing, Egyptian Goose, Great Crested Grebe, Shelduck, Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Gadwall, Mallard




Photo: Little Ringed Plover at EWT Abberton Reservoir



Photo: Common Tern at EWT Abberton Reservoir



Photo: Great Crested Grebe at EWT Abberton Reservoir



Photo: Little Egret at EWT Abberton Reservoir

EWT Wrabness. I first visited this reserve comprising hedgerows, scrub and grassland overlooking the River Stour estuary last year. My main target again this year was Turtle Dove for my UK 2020 year list. I successfully saw 2 and heard 2 others of this rapidly declining species which can be very difficult to locate now although this site remains a stronghold.

Other notable records – birds: Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Common Whitethroat, Linnet, Greenfinch, Common Buzzard (4 in the air together), Kestrel, Green Woodpecker, Oystercatcher

Other notable records – butterflies: Holly Blue (1), Small Tortoiseshell (1), Red Admiral (1)

Photo: Turtle Dove at EWT Wrabness



Photo: Swallow at EWT Wrabness

1st June 2020

SWT Old Lodge. Old Lodge is a nature reserve owned and managed by the Sussex Wildlife Trust. It is located in Ashdown Forest in the High Weald which takes up part of the counties of East Sussex, Kent, West Sussex and Surrey.

Ashdown Forest is an ancient area of open heathland with scattered trees occupying the highest sandy ridge-top of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The ecological importance of Ashdown Forest's heathlands is reflected by its designation as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, as a Special Protection Area for birds and as a Special Area of Conservation for its heathland habitats. It is part of the European Natura 2000 network as it hosts some of Europe's most threatened species and habitats.

Ashdown Forest is also famous as the setting for the Winnie-the-Pooh stories written by A. A. Milne who lived on the northern edge of the forest and took his son, Christopher Robin, walking there. The artist E. H. Shepard drew on the landscapes of Ashdown Forest as inspiration for many of the illustrations he provided for the Pooh books. 

This was my first visit to this site and the landscape and habitats were stunning on a beautiful sunny and still morning. I added 6 species to my UK 2020 year list: Common Redstart (4 males including 1 feeding a fledgling), Tree Pipit (7 singing males), Woodlark (2 singing males heard only), Willow Warbler (at least 3 singing males), Garden Warbler (at least 1 singing male) and Lesser Redpoll (several small fly-over groups). 

Other notable records – birds: Cuckoo (2 seen and 2 others heard), Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Common Whitethroat, Stonechat, Linnet, Skylark, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Goldcrest, Siskin, Coal Tit, Greenfinch

Other notable records – mammals: Badger (1), Fallow Deer (c.10), Grey Squirrel, Rabbit

Photo: SWT Old Lodge

Photo: SWT Old Lodge



Photo: SWT Old Lodge

NNR Stodmarsh. After my visit to Old Lodge, I drove over to east Kent for a visit to the Grove Ferry section of Stodmarsh. This reserve contains the largest reed bed in the south east of England plus fens, ditches, wet grassland and open water. This is another site that I usually visit in spring. My main target here was Hobby for my UK 2020 year list which I failed to see although totally unexpectedly I did see my first Red-crested Pochard of the year (male and female).

However, the most notable sighting was my first ever Norfolk Hawker. This rare dragonfly is traditionally found in the unpolluted fens, marshes, dykes and ditches of the Broads National Park in Norfolk and Suffolk but in recent years it has started to colonise a few sites in the River Stour valley in east Kent which I was not aware of before my visit or until I had a brief conversation with someone at Grove Ferry.

Other notable records – birds: Turtle Dove (heard only), Cuckoo (heard only), Swift, House Martin, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Cetti’s Warbler, Reed Bunting, Skylark, Linnet, Common Buzzard (1), Marsh Harrier (3), Green Woodpecker (heard only), Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard only), Grey Heron, Little Egret, Lapwing, Common Redshank, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Shoveler, Mallard

Other notable records – amphibians: Marsh Frog (heard only)

Other notable records – butterflies: Holly Blue (1), Small Tortoiseshell (1), Red Admiral (1)

Other notable records – dragonflies: Emperor Dragonfly (c.5)

Photo: Norfolk Hawker at NNR Stodmarsh

Photo: Norfolk Hawker at NNR Stodmarsh



Photo: Norfolk Hawker at NNR Stodmarsh

2nd June 2020

Forest of Dean including RSPB Nagshead. The Forest of Dean forms a roughly triangular plateau bounded by the River Wye to the west and north west, Herefordshire to the north, the River Severn to the south and the city of Gloucester to the east. The area is characterised by more than 40 square miles of mixed woodland and it is one of the surviving ancient woodlands in England. 

This was my longest day trip and my main targets here were Wood Warbler, Pied Flycatcher and Spotted Flycatcher for my UK 2020 year list. Common Redstart was also initially a target but I had already seen this species at Old Lodge in Sussex. I saw all 4 of these species but they all took some extensive and thorough searching for.

Other notable records – birds: Common Redstart, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Swallow, Sparrowhawk (2), Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard only), Stock Dove (heard only), Goldcrest, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Mandarin (3) 

Other notable records – mammals: Roe Deer (1), Grey Squirrel

Other notable records – dragonflies: Broad-bodied Chaser (c.5)

RSPB Otmoor. This reserve just outside Oxford includes an expansive floodplain grazing marsh, reedbeds, scrub and hedgerows and this was my first visit to the site. My main target here was Yellow Wagtail (again!) for my UK 2020 year list. I failed to see Yellow Wagtail (again!) but I did add Hobby (1), an unexpected flying Bittern and Mistle Thrush (2) to my UK 2020 year list. I also failed to see Turtle Dove which are apparently regularly recorded at this site.

Other notable records – birds: Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Garden Warbler (heard only), Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Cetti’s Warbler, Cuckoo (heard only), Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Skylark, Stock Dove (2), Red Kite (2), Marsh Harrier (1), Little Egret, Lapwing, Common Redshank, Curlew

Other notable records – mammals: Fallow Deer (3), Grey Squirrel

Other notable records – butterflies: Holly Blue (1), Small Tortoiseshell (1), Red Admiral (1)

Other notable records – dragonflies and damselflies: Emperor Dragonfly (c.5), Four-spotted Chaser (c.5), Azure/Common Blue Damselflies (100s!)

This was also a very good Red Kite day. Apart from the 2 seen at RSPB Otmoor, I saw 1 between J13 and J14 of the M4 on the way down to the Forest of Dean, 4 between Gloucester and Sherborn on the A40 and an amazing 18 between Oxford and the M25 on the A40 and M40.

3rd June 2020

NNR Westleton Heath. Westleton Heath is part of the best remaining tract of lowland heathland in Suffolk and it is another site that I usually visit in spring. My main target here was Dartford Warbler for my UK 2020 year list. Woodlark was also initially a target although I had already heard this species at Old Lodge in Sussex. After some extensive and thorough searching, I eventually heard and then saw a singing male Dartford Warbler.

Other notable records – birds: Woodlark (1 singing male heard only), Nightingale (1 singing male heard only), Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff (heard only), Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Linnet, Stonechat, Yellowhammer (heard only), Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard only), Kestrel

Other notable records – mammals: Rabbit



Photo: male Stonechat at NNR Westleton Heath

RSPB Hollesley Marshes. This reserve near Woodbridge in Suffolk is an area of grazing marsh on the lower reaches of the Alde-Ore Estuary and this was my second visit to the site. My main target here was Yellow Wagtail (again!) for my UK 2020 year list which I failed to see (again!) but I did see my first Spoonbill (3) of the year.

Other notable records – birds: Cuckoo (heard only), Blackcap (heard only), Chiffchaff, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Cetti’s Warbler, Linnet, Greenfinch, Barn Owl (1), Common Buzzard (1), Marsh Harrier (2), Great Spotted Woodpecker, Red-legged Partridge, Common Tern, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Avocet (c.30), Lapwing, Common Redshank, Oystercatcher, Wigeon (1 male), Shelduck, Shoveler, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Barnacle Goose (7)

Other notable records – mammals: Rabbit

On my way home, I called in at EWT Abberton Reservoir again to finally try once more to see Yellow Wagtail for my UK 2020 year list. I was successful! I saw a female on the bank of the Layer Breton causeway. In addition, I saw another fly-over Cuckoo.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.