Monday 8 June 2020

Evening visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 8th June 2020

Date: 8th June 2020

Time: from 9:45 p.m.

Weather: dry, setting sun, dark, 11°C

On my last visit to the site on 7th June 2020, I bumped in to Phil, one of the conservation volunteers, and asked him if he knew if there was a Badger sett in the area given that I had seen a Badger at the top of Church Hill on my visit on 3rd May 2020

Following Phil’s tip as to where see Badgers, I set off for a late evening visit to St. Nicholas Church at 9:45 p.m.

As I got to the junction of Czarina Rise and Basildon Road, I immediately saw a Red Fox which was again present in the same area at 11 p.m. as I walked home.

When I reached St. Nicholas Church, I sat quietly at the rear of the car park and within 10 minutes a Red Fox cub appeared which was quickly followed by its sibling. I made a “squeaky mouse” sound on the back of my hand and curiosity got the better of the cubs and they both approached to within 10 feet of me. They then decided that I was far too big to be a Wood Mouse or Bank Vole in distress and bolted back in to the undergrowth!

I found Phil’s recommended location to see Badgers and, again, fairly quickly I was rewarded with the sight of a Badger at what I assume is one of the entrances to the sett. Unfortunately, it did not completely emerge to set off on its foraging for the night but it did reappear at the entrance again a few minutes afterwards.

I saw at least 2 and possibly 3 adult Red Foxes in the area during my visit and I am guessing that one of these was probably the vixen that I have been seeing on most early morning visits.

On one occasion, a Red Fox disappeared in to the entrance to the presumed Badger sett! Note to self: investigate if Red Foxes and Badgers willingly and voluntarily co-habit!

With it being so late in the evening and dark by the time that I eventually left the site, there was no bird activity other than the beautiful sound of a singing Song Thrush.

Unfortunately it was too dark for any photos of the Red Foxes or the Badger.

Site totals to date:
Birds = 46
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 16
Dragonflies and damselflies = 5
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.