Tuesday 9 June 2020

Evening visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 9th June 2020

Date: 9th June 2020

Time: from 9:00 p.m.

Weather: dry, setting sun, dark, 13°C

After the success of yesterday’s late evening visit, I decided to visit the area around St. Nicholas Church again this evening.

It proved to be less productive with no sightings of Badgers. However, I did see a single Red Fox cub at the edge of the car park, an adult Red Fox cross the road at the top of Church Hill and another adult Red Fox trotting up Church Hill towards me as I walked home.

I started my visit slightly earlier than the evening before, so there were still a few birds singing: Blackcap, Song Thrush and Blackbird.

Swifts were very active for a few minutes. I initially saw a single bird fly over but a few minutes later I heard and then saw a “screaming” party of 5 birds which gradually increased in size to around 10 and then 20. At its peak, I estimated that there were around 35 Swifts flying around St. Nicholas Church. It was just like it used to be many years ago before Swifts sadly decreased in numbers throughout the UK and definitely around this location where I believe that they used to nest in the church tower before it was refurbished.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.