Wednesday 24 June 2020

Some post-lockdown trips (part 1)

After my 5 day lockdown breakout car rental at the end of May in to early June, I rented another car from 8:30 a.m. on Saturday 20th June to 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday 24th June 2020.

During that first itinerary, I visited several sites that provided opportunities to maximise the number of species recorded including additions to my UK 2020 year list. 

By the middle of June, summer is advancing and with it the quieter months in terms of bird activity and bird song. Therefore for this car rental, I specifically focused on sites that would give me the best opportunity to see species still missing from my UK 2020 year list, specifically 4 summer visitors (Little Tern, Sandwich Tern, Puffin and Nightjar) and 2 residents (Rock Pipit and Bearded Tit).

In addition, I also hoped to see a Marsh Warbler in Benfleet in Essex and Wood Sandpiper at RSPB Hollesley Marshes in Suffolk, both of which were being reported regularly in the days preceding my visits to these sites.

The sites that I visited during my 4 day car rental were:

Essex: EWT Colne Point and Benfleet Downs

East Yorkshire: RSPB Bempton Cliffs 

Suffolk:  RSPB Hollesley Marshes, RSPB MInsmere and NNR Westleton Heath

This proved to be an excellent few days and I managed to record all my target species as noted above, add a total of 10 species to my UK 2020 year list taking it to 186 species and see a number of other notable species.

The year list additions were: 

Little Tern
Marsh Warbler
Puffin
Rock Pipit
Wood Sandpiper
Green Sandpiper
Sandwich Tern
Little Gull
Bearded Tit (heard only)
Nightjar (heard only)

I have written a separate blog post on each of my daily trips.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.