Wednesday 26 October 2022

Chiffchaff

So far during this autumn, I have heard calling Chiffchaffs at both my local patch sites around St. Nicholas Church and at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve.

This is not especially unusual given that in recent years increasing numbers of Chiffchaffs have over-wintered in the UK due to the milder weather.

However, late this morning, as I left the main road to walk up the grassy right of way back to my flat, I heard a singing male Chiffchaff. It was hardly the loud, robust and repetitive song which is such a hallmark of early spring to early summer but nonetheless it was a briefly singing Chiffchaff

Doubtless the sunny morning with above average temperatures had obviously encouraged this particular Chiffchaff to sing. I suspect this bird was a juvenile male from this year's breeding season trying out his song rather than an adult male who felt it was still appropriate to sing to defend a territory and attract a mate long after that breeding season had concluded.

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.