Thursday 6 October 2022

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 6th October 2022

Date: 6th October 2022  

Time: from 7:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 9°C to 11°C

This was my first visit to the site since 7th August 2022 during the height of summer when I saw numerous butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies, a Grass Snake and several Edible Frogs.

This morning’s visit was definitely autumnal both in the appearance of the reserve and the relative scarcity of wildlife.

As on my visit to my other local patch site at St. Nicholas Church on 3rd October 2022, my patience and perseverance was rewarded with a few notable records.

Firstly, I heard a calling Goldcrest in the trees surrounding Fox Pond and then had a fleeting view of the bird as it flew from one tree to another. This was my first record of Goldcrest at the site, bringing my total number of bird species to 44.

In addition, I heard a calling Common Buzzard whilst walking back down the path from Willow Pond to the storage shed. However, I failed to see the bird and it was almost certainly outside the reserve boundary to the east of the path.

Along the same path, I heard a calling Chiffchaff and then eventually saw the bird. As at my other local patch site at St. Nicholas Church, there is obviously still at least one Chiffchaff that has not yet migrated south following the breeding season. Perhaps it will over-winter as is increasingly the case with this species in the UK due to the mild conditions.

The only other notable record during my visit was a distantly calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

When I had almost returned home, I heard another calling Chiffchaff in the bushes and trees adjacent to the grass track that runs from the main road up to the flats where I live.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Wren
Robin
Blackbird
Common Buzzard
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 44  (25)
Mammals = 3  (2)
Butterflies = 21  (15)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 14  (7)
Reptiles = 2  (2)
Amphibians = 3  (2)

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.