Tuesday 28 April 2020

3 months have passed ....

On 28th January 2020, I left home for a short winter wildlife watching trip to the Republic of Ireland.

A report on my trip can be found on my website here.

That was just 3 months ago.

Whilst I was away, illnesses and deaths from the COVID-19 virus were being reported from China although at this time there were no suggestions that this would have any impact for the UK.

In fact the UK Government and the media was still obsessed with Brexit and our country leaving the EU on 31st January 2020, one of the reasons for me taking a trip to an EU country and being away from the UK when it occurred.

Big Ben “bonging”, a commemorative coin and a blue passport cover seemed ridiculous enough in January but seem totally irrelevant now.

A lot has changed in these last 3 months.

In this short period of time, my life, my community, my town, our country and our world has changed beyond recognition, quite possibly forever.

My freedom of travel to and around the Republic of Ireland and a thoroughly enjoyable experience in this wonderful country (wildlife, rural and coastal landscapes, Guinness, traditional Irish music, hospitality and friendliness) have been replaced by a ban on foreign travel, travel restrictions internally in the UK, lockdown, social distancing, economic meltdown and of course the immense tragedy of huge numbers of people dying with this highly infectious virus.

Writing my trip report was a strange endeavour, a reminder of what things used to be like, just as my other trip reports for the UK, western Europe and eastern Europe bring back similar memories.

It seems like a lifetime ago but it is just 3 months.

I wonder every day what the “new normal” will be like and when it will arrive.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.