Monday 20 April 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas - 20th April 2020

Date: 20th April 2020

Time: from 6:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, moderate wind, 6°C to 9°C

This was my earliest start for a visit to this site.

I am practicing for International Dawn Chorus Day on 3rd May 2020 when dawn will be even earlier ๐Ÿ˜€.

I saw a singing male Blackcap and a singing male Chiffchaff with a further 2 and 3 of each species heard singing but not seen.

In addition, I heard a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker and saw a fly-over male Mallard.

I also saw a single Grey Squirrel.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Mallard
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:



Photo: Robin



Photo: male Blackbird

Photo: Feral Pigeon on St. Nicholas Church tower thinking he is a pure bred Rock Dove on the sea cliffs of northern Scotland .... dream on ๐Ÿ˜€



Photo: .... and here's another one with a similar misplaced aspiration ๐Ÿ˜€




Site totals to date:
Birds = 42
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 15
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿฆ† ๐Ÿฆ‰ ๐ŸŒผ ๐ŸŒณ๐Ÿ’š
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.