Saturday 25 April 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas - 25th April 2020

Date: 25th April 2020

Time: from 12:45 p.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 12°C to 13°C

My visit today started later in the day, primarily because I waited for the forecast sun and higher temperatures in the hope of seeing some butterfly species.

As I had hoped, the warm spring weather did indeed produce a few butterflies: Speckled Wood (4), Large White (1) and my first Orange Tips (3) at the site for 2020. I managed to take a few photos of a Speckled Wood.

I also saw a few Dark-edged Bee-flies and managed to take a photo of this distinctive hovering insect with its long proboscis.

The later start meant that the birds were not as conspicuous or vocal as on an early morning visit. However, after seeing my first Lesser Whitethroat of 2020 at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve yesterday, I heard another singing male on this visit. Despite a brief play of its song on my Collins Bird Guide app on my mobile phone, I was unable to tempt him in to view.

I also managed to see 3 singing Blackcaps and hear 3 others plus I heard 4 singing Chiffchaffs and a distant Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Lesser Whitehtroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Goldfinch
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon

Speckled Wood
Orange Tip
Large White

Dark-edged Bee-fly

Here are some photos from my visit:

 Photo: Dark-edged Bee-fly



Photo: Speckled Wood

 Photo: Speckled Wood



Photo: Speckled Wood

 Photo: Thistle species

 Photo: Ox-eye Daisy

 Photo: Bluebells

 Photo: Dandelions

 Photo: seeded Dandelion

Photo: Herb Robert



Photo: Greater Stitchwort

Site totals to date:
Birds = 42
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 15
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.