Thursday 9 April 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve - 9th April 2020

Date: 9th April 2020

Time: from 11:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 15°C to 21°C

On the approach path from Asda to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve, I heard a singing male Chiffchaff.

My visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve today started later in the day, primarily because I waited for the forecast higher temperatures in the hope of seeing the Common Lizard (photographed by Robert Butterfield and included in his Facebook post on 6th April 2020) plus any other reptiles and butterflies.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see any reptiles despite doing several laps of the boardwalk circuit slowly and quietly.

However, I did see my first butterfly species for the site: Peacock (2), Orange Tip (1 male and 2 females) and Large White (1).

I also saw 1 Chiffchaff and heard another and I saw 3 Blackcaps and heard 2 others.

In addition, there were 2 Moorhens on the reedy pond at the east end of the boardwalk and a male and female Mallard on the next pond slightly further west.

Finally, I heard my first Green Woodpecker actually within the boundary of Noak Bridge Nature Reserve.

On my walk back from Asda returning to my home, I saw another Peacock.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Mallard
Moorhen

Orange Tip
Peacock
Large White

Here are some photos from my visit:



Photo: male Orange Tip



Photo: possible Common Carder Bee?



Photo: possible Large Yellow Underwing caterpillar?



Photo: Chiffchaff

 Photo: Chiffchaff



Photo: Chiffchaff

 Photo: Dandelion

 Photo: Blackthorn

 Photo: Greater Stitchwort

 Photo: Greater Stitchwort

 Photo: Greater Stitchwort

Photo: Greater Periwinkle

Site totals to date:
Birds = 23
Mammals = 1
Butterflies= 3
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0
Reptiles = 0
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.