Friday 24 April 2020

From my lockdown window – 24th April 2020

I saw a Sparrowhawk on 2 occasions today: the first was at 9:30 a.m. and the second was at 8:20 p.m. This is now the 5th consecutive day that I have seen Sparrowhawk from my lockdown window and the 3rd evening in the last 4 that I have seen one fly through in an easterly direction between 8:00 p.m. and 8:20 p.m.

The Sparrowhawk is a widespread and common bird of prey throughout most of the UK. I am assuming that the bird(s) that I am seeing from my lockdown window and in the areas surrounding St. Nicholas Church during my visits there are actually resident and maybe even breeding somewhere.



Here is the only photo that I have ever managed to take of a Sparrowhawk:



Photo: Sparrowhawk at Sculthorpe Moor, Norfolk

I heard a singing Chiffchaff briefly and distantly at 8:30 a.m. Although I see and hear these birds on my visits to the areas surrounding St. Nicholas Church, this is the first time that I have heard one from my lockdown window.

Finally, as I closed my window before going to bed, I saw a Red Fox trotting along the road outside the flats.



Photo: sunrise over SS15 from lockdown window before my visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff 
Blue Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Sparrowhawk
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Red Fox

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.