Sunday 12 April 2020

From my lockdown window - 12th April 2020

Within just a few minutes of returning home from my visit to Gloucester Park, a Grey Heron slowly drifted over the rooftops heading west. I have occasionally seen these birds before from my flat or when visiting my St. Nicholas Church site. I was unable to get a photo of today’s bird. However, here are some photos of Grey Herons that I have taken at various sites in recent years:



Photo: Grey Heron at Loch Fleet, Highland



Photo: Grey Heron at RSPB Greylake, Somerset



Photo: Grey Heron at Kensington Gardens, Greater London



Photo: Grey Heron at London Wetland Centre, Barnes, Greater London 

I saw a Magpie visit the presumed nest at the edge of our car park on a few occasions today, sometimes carrying twigs. However, for nest-building, the activity does seem a bit half-hearted and I am not convinced that an active nest will eventually be evident.



Photo: Magpie

During the late afternoon, yet another warm and sunny spring day deteriorated with some light rain and increasing cloud. By dusk, it was very cloudy and the change in the weather may have been the reason why for the first time in several days no Pipistrelles appeared for the last hour before darkness. 

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Grey Heron

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.