Sunday 19 April 2020

From my lockdown window - 19th April 2020

Lockdown window excelled itself today!

After returning from my trip to Gloucester Park, I saw a Swallow fly through at 10:00 a.m. and a further 3 fly through at 8:00 p.m.

All 4 birds were flying in a northerly direction as is expected at this time of year as birds arrive on the south or east coast of the UK and then disperse throughout the country for the breeding season. What was less expected was that I saw them during a day with a moderate or strong north easterly headwind.

In normal years (2020 will not be seen as a normal year for obvious reasons), I would expect to see my first Swallows of the spring in mid or late April at sites such as Wat Tyler Country Park or RSPB Vange Marsh in the Basildon area or Abberton Reservoir south of Colchester.

However, this year I did indeed see my first Swallow of the year at Abberton Reservoir but on the extraordinary date of 1st January and on an extremely cold and frosty morning. This bird was actually reported almost daily until at least 18th January 2020. With climate change and the much warmer winters in the UK, Swallows and other summer migrants such as House Martin, Chiffchaff and Blackcap are being reported in increasing numbers during the winter months.

Swallows, as always, are extremely swift fliers and it was impossible to even try getting any photos of the birds that passed through today. However, here is a photo of a “stationary” Swallow that I took on the island of Mull in June 2006:



Photo: Swallow at Loch Spelve, Mull, Argyll

Fly away, fly away over the sea,
Sun-loving swallow, for summer is done;
Come again, come again, come back to me,
Bringing the summer and bringing the sun.
Fly Away, Fly Away Over the Sea” - Christina Georgina Rossetti

In addition to the Swallows, I heard a singing male Blackcap at 8:10 p.m. 

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):


Swallow

Blackcap
Blue Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Goldfinch
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.