Friday 24 April 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve - 24th April 2020

Date: 24th April 2020

Time: from 6:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 6°C to 10°C

When I looked at the forecast last night, it showed sunny weather all day so I had a decision to make as to whether to visit early in the morning for bird song or later in the day for reptiles and butterflies when it would be warmer.

I chose the early morning option and I am very glad that I did!

The highlight of my visit was my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year taking my UK 2020 year list to 147. This is the third addition to my 2020 year list after restricting my birding to my 3 sites close to home. It follows Blackcap in the area around St. Nicholas Church and Grey Wagtail at Gloucester Park.

This was obviously also my first record of Lesser Whitethroat at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve. I saw it at the far eastern end of the reserve in the bushes around the boardwalk junction. I first heard its distinctive rattling song and then I was able to watch it for several minutes. Given that this species is usually much more skulking than its close relative, the Common Whitethroat, it was particularly showy and was quite happy singing out in the open. This also enabled me to take my first ever photos of this bird.



In addition, I was able to add a further 2 species to my site list on this visit: a flight displaying male Greenfinch and a fly-over Cormorant. Together with the Lesser Whitethroat, this brings my site total for birds to 27 species.

With regard to other birds, I saw 3 singing male Blackcaps and 2 singing male Chiffchaffs with a further 3 and 1 of each species heard singing but not seen.

There were 2 Moorhens and a male Mallard on the reedy pond at the east end of the boardwalk.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Lesser Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Jay
Carrion Crow
Mallard
Moorhen
Cormorant

Here are some photos from my visit:

 Photo: Lesser Whitethroat

 Photo: Lesser Whitethroat



Photo: Lesser Whitethroat





Site totals to date:
Birds = 27
Mammals = 1
Butterflies= 6
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature




1 comment:

  1. The first recorded sighting of a lesser whitethroat in the Noak Bridge Reserve as far as I know!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.