Saturday 4 April 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas - 4th April 2020

Date: 4th April 2020

Time: from 12:30 p.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 13°C to 16°C

My visit today started later in the day, primarily because I waited for the forecast higher temperatures in the hope of seeing some butterfly species.

Very quickly, I bumped in to 2 guys and their dog (not literally …. the 2m social distancing was rigorously observed!). This turned out to be Phil and Andy who both volunteer around the site in respect of conservation work. I had a thoroughly enjoyable and informative 15 minute conversation with them, mainly about their knowledge and experience of the wildlife of the site gained over many years. They are provisionally planning to form a society or voluntary group along the lines of Noak Bridge Nature Reserve Society so I obviously indicated my interest in joining and participating should this develop further. It also became apparent that Phil used to work for Basildon Development Corporation, one of my previous employers, so we exchanged many memories of some of our former colleagues.

As I had hoped, the warm spring weather did indeed produce my first butterflies at the site for 2020: Brimstone (2), Peacock (1) and Large White (1). There were no signs yet of some of the other early spring fliers, specifically Orange Tip and Speckled Wood.

The later start meant that the birds were not as conspicuous or vocal but I still managed to hear 3 Chiffchaffs, 2 Blackcaps and a Green Woodpecker.

Unfortunately, during this trip my binoculars developed a focusing problem which is now causing a double image. This also occured whilst I was away on my trip to the Republic of Ireland in January/February 2020 but somehow it self-corrected. If this is now a permanent issue, I am obviously going to have to wait for several weeks or even months before I get the opportunity to get them to a Leica dealer for repair. All very disappointing and frustrating but binocular repairs are hardly a priority during a lockdown due to a global pandemic.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Brimstone
Peacock
Large White

Here are some photos from my visit:



Photo: St. Nicholas Church

 Photo: Peacock

 Photo: Magpie

 Photo: Robin


Photo: Seven-spot Ladybird

 Photo: Wild Primrose

  Photo: Wild Primrose



Photo: Blackthorn

 Photo: Daisies

 Photo: Dandelion



Photo: Daffodil

Site totals to date:

Birds = 41
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 15
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.