Thursday 9 April 2020

From my lockdown window - 9th April 2020

There may be a Magpie nest building at the edge of the car park to our flats. There is what I believe is a Magpie nest which is certainly being visited by a Magpie. However, whether this is a "Thieving Magpie" stealing material from an old nest for a new construction elsewhere or “nestoration” of an old nest for this year’s use remains to be seen.



Photo: Magpie nest .... and slightly hidden Magpie

I also heard a Green Woodpecker today, its “yaffling” call being very distinctive.



There are 3 woodpecker species resident in the UK: the Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker plus the tiny and increasingly scarce Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. The Wryneck, once a former breeder, is now a scarce but regular passage migrant.

In addition to those 4 species, there are a further 7 European woodpecker species: Iberian Green Woodpecker, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Syrian Woodpecker, White-backed Woodpecker, Three-toed Woodpecker and Black Woodpecker. Through my trips to various countries in northern, western and eastern Europe, I have been able to see all 11 woodpecker species.

I only very rarely see Green Woodpecker from my flat but I do hear them fairly regularly. Here is a photo taken of a juvenile Green Woodpecker in the rear communal garden to our flats in July 2016 and also one in Richmond Park in London in October 2010.



Photo: juvenile Green Woodpecker



Photo: Green Woodpecker

The Pipistrelles appeared again at around 8:15 p.m. 

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit 
Blackbird
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Green Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Carrion Crow

Pipistrelle sp.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.