Saturday 18 April 2020

We are witnessing a critical time in history. You should keep a diary.

This is an interesting recent article in The Guardian: We are witnessing a critical time in history. You should keep a diary.

Paul Daley opens his article by saying: “The Covid-19 crisis has impelled me to record my impressions of this altered world. The joy of the archive is that one person’s dross is another’s gold.”

Referencing the COVID-19 pandemic, he notes: “Our geographic orbits have shrunk. Our homes have become countries, our streets worlds and our suburbs universes. Once small things like a visit to the supermarket, a chat with a neighbour, a dog walk, hold greater emotional meaning than we’d ever have dreamt a few months back.

He goes on to say: “And it will pass. Many won’t live through it. Those who do will carry it as scar tissue of personal experience the rest of their lives. That’s why many will be recording their impressions of their altered worlds. The future will thank them. …. It’s therapeutic. But I’m also hoping that I’ll re-read it after this season ends and once my horizons have once again broadened, to remind myself of what was lost and gained in these times.

We are living in and witnessing unprecedented times in our modern human history.

I decided to create my blog (diary) to ensure that I continue to enjoy wildlife and photography during this travel-restricted period plus reflect on these troubled and challenging days.

My blog may seem “obvious, mundane or prosaic” to quote Paul Daley but as he also says: “Who cares? Maybe no one. That’s the joy of the archive. One person’s dross is another’s gold.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.