Monday 27 April 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve - 27th April 2020

Date: 27th April 2020

Time: from 11:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, hazy sunshine, light wind, 17°C

I had another late morning visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve today in the hope of seeing and photographing more reptiles and butterflies.

On that objective, it was disappointing with only 2 Small Whites seen and no photographs of them.

With regard to birds, it was much quieter than an early morning visit but I still managed to hear 4 singing male Blackcaps and 4 singing male Chiffchaffs although I failed to see any of them.

In addition, I heard a calling Green Woodpecker and, after my first record on my last visit, I also heard a calling Greenfinch.

There were 2 Moorhens on the reedy pond at the east end of the boardwalk and another Moorhen and a male Mallard (asleep) on the pond near the Eastfield Road entrance.

A couple that I spoke to mentioned that they had just seen a Red Fox.

Finally, there was a rather gruesome sight of the remains of a dead Lesser Black-backed Gull just off the east end of the boardwalk. Clearly, it had already been partially eaten by scavengers but it remains a mystery as to why and how it ended up on the reserve.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Greenfinch
House Sparrow
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Green Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Mallard
Moorhen
Lesser Black-backed Gull (dead)

Red Fox (reported)

Small White

Having taken my macro lens with me for the purpose of photographing reptiles and butterflies, I instead used it for more flower photography.

Here are some photos from my visit:



Photo: Greater Stitchwort



Photo: Greater Stitchwort



Photo: seeded Dandelion


Photo: Greater Periwinkle



Photo: Dandelions



Photo: Buttercup



Photo: Blackthorn



Photo: remains of a Lesser Black-backed Gull

Site totals to date:
Birds = 27
Mammals = 1
Butterflies= 6
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, the purple flower -- if it is fairly large (at least an inch in diameter) and found in a patch near the junction of the boardwalks, it is a greater periwinkle (Vinca major)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.