Thursday 14 May 2020

From my lockdown window – 14th May 2020

Lockdown window returned to a bit of form today with a few notable sightings and a longer species list.

When I got up and before my visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve, I heard a male Blackcap singing continuously for about 15 minutes from 5:30 a.m.

After returning home from my visit, I saw a fly-over Black-headed Gull at 10:10 a.m., my third record from lockdown window.

At 7:50 p.m., I noticed a small bird of prey sitting on the rooftop of one of the houses opposite our flats. I was looking directly in to the sun so it was effectively silhouetted making a confirmed identification difficult. However, it quickly took off, flying very rapidly and then proceeded to soar at quite a low level over the houses. It was yet another Sparrowhawk, after my sighting yesterday morning.

Shortly afterwards, and like the last 2 Thursdays, the “clap for carers” event at 8:00 p.m. disturbed a Woodpigeon roost since at least 100 birds suddenly appeared flying around when the clapping, fireworks, car horns, etc. commenced.

Finally, after last seeing them on 15th April 2020, I saw a single Pipistrelle species flying around the area outside my flat at 8:30 p.m.

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Dunnock
Wren
Sparrowhawk
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull

Pipistrelle sp.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.