Monday 18 May 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve - 18th May 2020

Date: 18th May 2020

Time: from 10:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 17°C to 21°C

I had another mid-morning visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve today in the hope of seeing and photographing more reptiles and butterflies in the very warm and sunny weather.

Despite walking slowly and quietly several times round the boardwalk at the eastern end of the reserve, I failed to see any Common Lizards. Given the weather, I had been confident of seeing at least one of these reptiles basking at the edge of the boardwalk in the sun.

I was much more successful with butterflies, recording 7 species during my visit: Holly Blue (3), Red Admiral (1), Orange Tip (1), Comma (2), Speckled Wood (2), Large White (1), Small White (2). Holly Blue and Red Admiral were both new butterfly records for my site list taking it to 8 species.

With regard to birds, as usual it was generally much quieter than an early morning visit.

However, I saw a singing male Lesser Whitethroat again in the bushes around the end of the boardwalk at the eastern end of the reserve. I also heard another singing somewhere off the main track between the entrance to the reserve from Pipps Hill and the junction with the track from the Eastfield Road entrance.

In addition, I saw 1 singing Blackcap and 1 singing Chiffchaff and heard 4 and 2 respectively of each species without seeing them.

I also heard a brief snatch of song from the main track which sounded very like a Sedge Warbler but I did not hear it again and I certainly did not see the bird. Therefore, unfortunately, I can’t even record a “possible” or “probable”.

Finally, I saw a single Great Spotted Woodpecker and 2 Moorhens on the reedy pond at the east end of the boardwalk.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Lesser Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Jay
Magpie
Moorhen

Holly Blue
Red Admiral
Orange Tip
Speckled Wood
Comma
Small White
Large White

Here are some photos from my visit:



Photo: Holly Blue



Photo: Red Admiral



Photo: Orange Tip



Photo: Speckled Wood



Photo: Speckled Wood



Photo: Lesser Whitethroat



Photo: Herb Robert



Photo: Buttercup



Photo: Bramble



Photo: Sow Thistle



Photo: Wild Rose



Site totals to date:
Birds = 27
Mammals = 1
Butterflies= 8
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.