Tuesday 12 May 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 12th May 2020

Date: 12th May 2020

Time: from 6:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 1°C to 8°C

I visited St. Nicholas Church again today for more Red Fox fun …. try saying that after a few pints and not make a mistake 😀.

It was a very cold morning with temperatures of only 1°C at 6:15 a.m. and a ground frost although it was also very sunny and, with only a light wind compared to yesterday, I did not feel too cold. I think the fact that my winter-lined trousers and woolly jumper had an unexpected outing in May also helped 😀.

When I arrived at St. Nicholas Church, there were 2 people running up Church Hill towards the church. "Run" is a loose interpretation of what they probably thought they were doing 😀. On reaching the top, there was much spluttering, coughing and breathlessness before they turned round and walked back down Church Hill to start all over again. This was repeated a few times before I heard the man say, presumably to his wife, "Let's go home and have some doughnuts for breakfast" 😀.

Me? .... run up and down Church Hill? .... no chance .... I'll stick with sitting still and watching Red Foxes 😀.

I had another excellent time with the Red Foxes this morning and I have again written a separate dedicated blog post about it here.

Whilst sitting quietly and patiently waiting for the Red Foxes, I saw a small rodent (food for a Red Fox 😀) run across the grass and disappear under one of the gravestones. Although this was only a momentary sighting, it was too large for a Common Shrew, much too small for a Brown Rat and too grey for a Bank Vole or Wood Mouse so I suspect it was probably a House Mouse. Unfortunately, it didn’t reappear to confirm its identity.

With regard to birds, I saw 1 singing Blackcap and heard 6 others and heard 4 singing Chiffchaffs without seeing any of them.

I also saw 2 Grey Squirrels.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel
Rodent sp. .... probable House Mouse

Here are some photos from my visit:

Photo: Robin

Photo: Robin

Photo: Long-tailed Tit

Photo: Jay

Photo: Magpie

Photo: Collared Dove

Photo: Buttercups

Photo: Horse Chestnut

Photo: Horse Chestnut



Photo: Common Poppy

Site totals to date:
Birds = 45
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 16
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.