Tuesday 5 May 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 5th May 2020

Date: 5th May 2020

Time: from 7:15 p.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, moderate wind, 11°C

I had planned on an early morning visit but I decided against this when I awoke to a grey, cloudy and very windy day.

By the evening, it was very sunny and the wind had decreased a little so I walked up to St. Nicholas Church for the last hour or so before sunset.

I didn’t see much in the way of wildlife but many of the birds were still singing albeit not as loudly or as intensely as on my visit on International Dawn Chorus Day

Of particular note were 3 singing Blackcaps, 1 singing Chiffchaff and 2 calling Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

I did manage to see a Red Fox in the gathering darkness in the field adjacent to Larkins Tyres as I walked home.

It was a beautiful evening with golden light, the moon rising over St. Nicholas Church and the sun setting in the west.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Wren
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull
Red Fox

Here are some photos of St. Nicholas Church and its graveyard, the rising moon, the setting sun and a view of the London skyline (Docklands and The Shard):























Site totals to date:
Birds = 42
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 15
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature









No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.