Thursday 14 May 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve - 14th May 2020

Date: 14th May 2020

Time: from 7:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 4°C to 10°C

This was my first visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve for a week having focused on watching and photographing a Red Fox vixen and 4 cubs at my St Nicholas Church site in recent days.

On this visit, I was able to add a further species to my site list: 2 fly-over Common Terns at the extreme eastern end of the reserve. These birds flew over the A127 from the south and then over the reserve. This record brings my site total for birds to 30 species.

Since recording my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year during my visit on 24th April 2020, I again saw a singing male today. I first heard its rattling song in the perimeter hedges adjacent to the A127 at the eastern end of the reserve. It then flew over to the bushes by the boardwalk T-junction where I had also seen the bird on 24th April 2020. Here it continued to sing out in the open enabling me to get some photos. It then flew to the bushes at the end of the boardwalk by the pond where it carried on singing, again showing well and enabling photos.

With regard to other birds, I saw 3 singing male Blackcaps and 3 singing male Chiffchaffs with a further 2 and 1 of each species heard singing but not seen.

In the bushes alongside the track south from the Eastfield Road entrance, there was a pair of Long-tailed Tits with some fledged juveniles.

The reedy pond at the east end of the boardwalk again held a Moorhen as usual but on this occasion I only heard it calling and failed to see it. I also saw a pair of fly-over Mallards and a fly-over Herring Gull.

Finally, I saw a Grey Squirrel in the trees by the first set of steps down from the perimeter track.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Lesser Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Mallard
Moorhen
Herring Gull
Common Tern

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:

Photo: Lesser Whitethroat

Photo: Lesser Whitethroat

Photo: Lesser Whitethroat

Photo: Lesser Whitethroat


Photo: Lesser Whitethroat



Photo: Chiffchaff

Photo: Long-tailed Tit



Photo: Woodpigeon

Site totals to date:
Birds = 30
Mammals = 1
Butterflies= 6
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.