Tuesday 19 May 2020

From my lockdown window – 19th May 2020

At 7 a.m. I had an excellent start to the day when I saw my first House Martin of 2020 taking my UK 2020 year list to 152. This is now the 8th addition to my 2020 year list after restricting my birding to my 3 sites close to home. Some people describe House Martins as being like mini Orcas. One is a huge sea mammal that lives in the oceans and eats seals and the other is a small hirundine that spends a lot of time in the sky eating insects …. the similarity is so obvious 😀.

As the House Martin flew through, there were also 2 Swifts in close proximity.

The number of Starlings in the area has increased in recent days and they can often be seen carrying food, presumably back to nest sites. Today, some of the adults were being pursued by noisily squawking newly fledged young birds.

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

House Martin
Swift
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Robin
Dunnock
Starling 
Goldfinch
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.