Monday 4 May 2020

From my lockdown window – 4th May 2020

I heard a calling Green Woodpecker immediately after getting up at 6:30 a.m. and this was shortly followed by a Blackcap singing briefly at 6:45 a.m.

I very occasionally see a single Jay from either my front or back windows but today I saw 3, the first at 8:45 a.m. followed by another 2 together at 8:55 a.m.

As it was going dark, I heard what sounded like Eurasian Scops Owl .... but it was much more likely to be a young kid playing a recorder 😀. The Eurasian Scops Owl is a fairly common summer migrant to southern Europe eastwards into western and central Asia where it can be heard, but much less often seen, in a variety of habitats such as open woodlands, orchards and parks. It is an extremely rare vagrant to the UK. It is most active at night when its monotonously repeated monosyllabic and melancholy call may be heard.



I have seen 10 of the 13 European owl species from birding trips within the UK and from my trips around western and eastern Europe. I heard Eurasian Scops Owl frequently during trips to northern Greece and Bulgaria but frustratingly I have never been able to see one despite on occasions being very close to the calling bird.

Over the last few days, an increase in air traffic has been evident and they are easy to spot during the early morning or late evening when the skies are very clear and as they leave contrails behind them (see photos below).

I recorded the following species today (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Blackbird
Dunnock
Wren
Starling
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull



Photo: contrails in the evening sky over SS15



Photo: contrails in the evening sky over SS15

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.